Horseshoe Bend

 It's crazy to visit a site that you've seen millions of photographs of for so long. But it's definitely a site worth photographing.

Of course Horseshoe Bend was on the Page itinerary. And I knew it was just outside of town, about a 10 minute drive. But as we pulled into Page, and I saw a bunch of cars off the road I asked, "what is that place?" It was Horseshoe Bend! I didn't realize how close to the highway it was.

You pull in and pay a $10 per vehicle entrance fee and park in their lot. There's then a 1.5 mile round trip hike/walk to the actual site. 
 
The day we went it was a bit chilly and we even got some sprinkles, so the walk seemed like nothing at all. But I could imagine it being more of a drag as the temps increase. There are 2 shade structures on the trail.
They now have a railing in front of the main lookout point, which was added a few years back. There is still plenty of space with  no railing at all for those stupid brave enough to venture.



My brother and SIL actually kayaked in that river and camped out on that sandy beach area at the bottom of the bend not too long ago. That sounded like a fun trip too!


As we were standing at the lookout, it was quite windy!
I am surprised that I haven't visited Horseshoe Bend, and the Page area generally, before. It's a lovely road trip and such a beautiful site! Definitely a must do in AZ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Page, AZ

NYC at Christmas

unBelizeable!