Camping: Big Lake!

To go with my end of summer theme this week, let's talk camping. My favorite summer camping spot is Big Lake. I grew up camping in this area, and I love returning. We try to head here for a few days each summer.

Getting There

It is a bit of a hike to get there, about 4.5 hours, so at least 4 nights is needed.


It's a beautiful area, though, and worth it. We like to stay at the Apache Trout campground. It's a very nice campground. We like to get a double spot and share it with my parents. There are other campgrounds nearby, and I know my brother prefers to boon dock nearby. Greer isn't that far either- and that's another fun spot.

What We Do

Big Lake itself is the main star. We head down probably once a day and fish.

This year we rented a boat which you can do through their storeSometimes the fishing is good, sometimes it's not (this year not one fish was caught!). But it's pretty either way. I personally don't fish, but it's fun to sit and watch the lake. If you do fish, make sure to get a license! Kids 10 and over need their own license (younger kids can fish off an adult license). Heading down just to catch the sunset is pretty awesome too.

There are geocaches in the area if that's your thing. We've had fun with the kids finding those.

The Big Lake store is always a hit.

We hit that up a couple times each trip. I did the same thing as a kid, and I love those memories so much. I'm glad to recreate them with my kids. Searching for animals each night is always fun- and you'll always spot some right around sunset.

Having a fire and s'mores is a must each night.

This year was a wet winter and spring, so thankfully we were able to have a wood burning fire this year. Sometimes, though, you'll have to rely on a gas fire pit- so bring one if no wood fires are allowed. Our family camping tradition is playing marbles- so of course that's going to happen a few times each trip.

Horseshoes are a fun pasttime too.

Now, there is not internet service around here, so you can't depend on streaming anything for bored kids. We set up a TV with DVD player for those cold or boring times.

We also like to take a little drive to the East or West Fork of the Black River. This is the spot I grew up camping at.


It's beautiful, makes for fun river fishing, and you can often (if the water is warm enough) catch crawdads. 

Big Lake holds a piece of my heart and I highly recommend this spot for a summer getaway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Page, AZ

NYC at Christmas

unBelizeable!