Page, AZ

I am a born and raised AZ native. And this state is quite beautiful with lots to offer. I've made it a point of late to see more of it. So for spring break this year, I planned a trip up to Page. It's a great base for lots of sights- Lake Powell, Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon. You can even tack on the Grand Canyon and go look at dinosaur tracks too (which I'm kicking myself for since I didn't add it to our drive)! We kept this trip to a minimum, but I'd definitely head up there again and explore more than we did this time.
 
Itinerary 
Remember how I've mentioned I'm a true believer in itineraries? Well, here's a classic Stacy Itinerary. 
The one I shared in the Girls' Trip was extra fancy since we were celebrating an occasion. Typically, I just create one in Google Docs so that I can access it anywhere with my phone. Next to the dates you'll notice some numbers in parentheses. These are the high/low temps for the day. Helps me with planning and packing for the trip. 
 
Getting There
It is about a 5 hour drive from home for us, but it's pretty easy. The hardest part is just getting up to Flagstaff. Once you're there, you head east and will make your way quickly to Page. We planned a stop at the Cameron Trading Post. It's the perfect stop to grab some lunch at their sit down restaurant and stretch your legs.
 
The Navajo Tacos are dynamite! 

My son ranked this meal as his #2 meal ever, behind sushi, of course. 
 
They also have a pretty large gift shop where we wandered around and stretched our legs. My son couldn't resist some moccasins. 


After that great lunch, it was a short drive to the vrbo we had reserved in Page. I chose the house because it fit all of us; my parents and my sister and her family all joined. It was a great space for us. Most of the town is down one road, and if you choose the right house, you'll have a great view from your backyard. You couldn't beat the view we had. 



I even made the kids do a little photo sesh with me there.
 
What We Did
The big ticket items were Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend, which have their own blogposts linked. And unfortunately, our pontoon boat rental to explore Lake Powell was canceled due to the rain we got. For this post I'll focus on the smaller things we did.

ATV Rides
I got a little worried a couple days before we headed out that I didn't have enough planned to keep the kids entertained. So I turned to Google and found Epic Adventure Rides. They provide you a side by side, helmets, eye protection, and a guide to take you out to explore a bit in Page. Most of us thought this was a blast! However, my son was a little scared and couldn't fully enjoy it. I never felt unsafe, but if you have an anxious child, you may want to consider that before you book.





 Overall, I thought it was fun and I would recommend it.

Rainy Day Activities
As I mentioned, the rain resulted in us canceling the pontoon boat rental which was really disappointing. Luckily, the rental company was understanding and refunded us 100%. But now I was left trying to find other things to fill the time. We decided to drive around a little and get a look at the Glen Canyon Dam and the lake. 

The first stop was Glen Canyon Dam Overlook. It was a short drive (as is everything in Page), and an interesting stop. 





Next, I wanted to get a look at Lake Powell. We headed to Wahweap Overlook. The water level is currently quite low, but it still provided a good view of the lake.


Next up was bowling.


My son thought it hilarious to make goofy faces in as many pics as possible.

Eating Out

The vrbo had a full kitchen, so we could have easily made all our meals if we wanted. But we didn't want to. We headed out to dinner every night and Grand Canyon Brewery was our favorite. In fact, I think this place was the favorite thing we did of the whole trip for my son. 

The brewery had good food and drinks, and a relaxed and fun atmosphere. There were pool tables, shuffleboard and foosball which kept the kids entertained and not confined to a table. We ended up going here at least 3 times because they had so much fun. 



We also checked out the Dam Plaza for a little bar hopping, snacking, and shopping, and Big John's Texas Barbeque, which are both worth your time.

I ended up being pleasantly surprised at all Page had to offer, especially considering how small the town is. Stay tuned for posts on Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NYC at Christmas

unBelizeable!